The Infectious Diseases Center has four functions:
> Host R&D teams and projects
> Conduct an industrial and competitive epidemiological watch to the “Healthcare Shield” service (diagnostics, vaccines, delivery systems, new therapies)
> Lead a network of European research programs and host prospects in the “pre-incubation” phase in order to enhance the international development of the cluster
> Provide a place for synergenic work, animation and exchanges
Lyonbiopole’s team offers the following services:
>Assist the setting up of R&D projects
- Specification and launch of the project in “pre-incubation” phase
- Search for partners and help to join scientific and technical networks
- Accredit projects to give them access to public and private funding
> Host project teams and provide them with:
- Laboratories adapted to the study of infectious diseases (biological safety). Each project team of each partner benefits from dedicated and secured premises. Their activities cannot disturb the environment of the building they depend on.
- Industrial-grade facilities which can handle potential collaborative projects between public and private organizations (IT security and modularity)
- An access to technical platforms and shared mutual equipments
- A team dedicated to the operation and to the maintenance of the site.
Benefits from a network focus thanks to:
>Synergies in projects and in related areas. Each partner interacts with the others in a protected environment (biological, IT)
> Increased opportunities for “chance meetings” (the “cafeteria” effect)
> Link to international expertise and know-how networks in infectious diseases.
The mission of the Infectious Disease Center is to support the development of projects having the ambition to generate business activity in the medium and long term.
This project is organized in two steps:
> April 1st, 2009: Opening of the Infectious Diseases center in the Domilyon Building
> 2013 : Expansion of the Infectious Diseases Center (acCInov project)
This phase is the implementation of the AcCInov project, a biotechnology innovation platform project accredited by Lyonbiopole, submitted and selected in the call for projects sent out by the French State and public financing administrator Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations on October 2008.
The Infectious Diseas Center, located in the Domilyon building in Lyon Gerland:
> 1,920 sq.m / 21,000 sq.ft. of laboratories for an average of 84 persons
> 7 modules with biosafety level 2 and 1 laboratories
> Shared zones including a biosafety level 3 platform
> Shared equipments
> € 5 million euros of investment to raise and develop the platform, financed by the building’s owner and covered by a renting guarantee of Greater Lyon over the amortization period
> € 2 million of equipments for cellular and molecular biology laboratories, financed by the European Union with the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), representing at least 40% of eligible costs, managed by the Rhône-Alpes Region, with the expertise of Inserm.